¡Hola mis amigos!


Monday, September 27, 2010

Just Another Day in the Life....

My adorable sister, Andrea


"C-A-L-V-I-N" on our trip to La Tigra, the national park


Me and Lisa at the soccer game


Someone told me, before I left for Honduras, that my classes would be easy because I would be speaking Spanish 24/7. Well, this person lied (I can’t remember who it was, but I think it was Krista). I have a ton of homework and an endless “to do” list and there simply are not enough hours in the day to do it all! It’s nothing short of a miracle that I show up to class everyday with my homework completed. Hopefully, the school work will become easier as my Spanish continues to improve.


Schoolwork aside, life is good here in Tegus. The other night, my family and I were taking pictures with my laptop using the program that distorts the images, making people fat, skinny, alien-like, etc. Each of us was laughing so hard we were crying, and we were so loud that our abuela (grandma), who lives next door, came over because she thought someone was hurt! I am also learning how to make traditional Honduran food and my family wants me to make American food for dinner one night. I’m not quite sure what “American” food is—they already have cheeseburgers here in Honduras—but it will be fun nonetheless.


I went to my first (and maybe last) international soccer game…which was quite the experience! Real EspaƱa played Motagua, and apparently these teams are friendly, so I wasn’t expecting anything crazy to happen. The game started out fine, but in the last ten minutes there were 2 red cards, a handful of yellow cards, and a lot of angry fans. If the referees made a bad call, the fans hurled things at them, onto the field—mostly beer cans. At the end of the game, which was a tie, the referees were escorted off the field by armed guards. We got home without a problem, but the next day found out that 4 people had been killed in a shoot-out after the game. Then, the next day, part of the stadium collapsed, killing one person and injuring many others. After all of that, I’m not sure my family is going to let me go back!


Being at the soccer game made me miss Calvin soccer mucho! And, of course, soccer dinners! I am going through “fall withdrawal” right now, and miss things like soccer games, apple crisp, pumpkins, changing seasons, cooler weather, and bonfires. Fall is my favorite season so thinking about all the things I’m missing makes me sad! I am already planning on making apple crisp when I get home—and no, it doesn’t matter that it won’t be apple season anymore! J

1 comment:

  1. First of all, your baby is adorable! Second, was it your idea to spell CALVIN? So original :) Third, please don't go to another soccer game down there, they sound scary. Fourth, I miss you 'mucho!'

    ReplyDelete