¡Hola mis amigos!


Monday, August 23, 2010

!Bienvenidos a mi vida nueva! (Welcome to my New Life)

I've been in Honduras for less than a week, but it feels like I have been here for a year! After only a few days, I have already established a routine that goes something like this:

AM

6:30--wake-up before my alarm because there is commotion in the house.
6:40--Take a freezing cold shower. Some days there is running water, other days there isn't, and on these days I have to gather water from the basin in the house and use a bucket to shower.
6:50-- (yes, my shower is less than 10 minutes because the water is so cold!) Get ready for the day.
7:30--eat breakfast, usually with Mario (mi papa). Some days, I eat cornflakes with WARM milk. Other days, I eat eggs with beans. Basically I just eat whatever is put in front of me.
8:00--leave for class with my friends. There are 2 girls who live close to my house, so we walk 25ish minutes to the University together.
8:30-11:30ish--Class. For the next 2 weeks all of the students are taking the same 2 classes, for 3 hours each morning. These classes are a crash-course in Honduran culture.
11:30-12:30--Lunch. We (students) either eat in the cafeteria at school or head across the street to the mall and get food there.

PM

12:30--Walk home from school. One thing you should know about my walk is that it involves crossing a VERY busy street. This might not sound like a problem, but there are several things you need to take into consideration: 1)There are no crosswalks 2)People drive like maniacs. 3)Traffic laws have no meaning. So, crossing the street becomes a matter of life and death!
1:00-6:00--Hang out at home, or with friends, in the off-chance that someone is going to the mall or to Burger King for internet (which is where I am currently). At home, I watch the news with my grandma, play UNO with Isaac (my brother), or attempt to do homework.
6:00ish--Dinner. All of the food has been good....typical Honduran food (minus the time we at ate Wendy's for Isaac's Birthday dinner!). For dinner, we usually eat some type of beans, eggs, cheese, maybe meat, and tortillas. There are tortillas at every meal! My favorite (and I use the word loosely, meaning most memorable) dinner was cut-up hot dogs in salsa, with a fried egg and black beans.
6:30-9:00--Hang out with family and finish homework. And watch more TV. And try to get Andrea (my baby sister) to like me. She is still a little afraid of me, but will smile at me and occasionally let me hold her without screaming bloody murder.
9:00--Hit the hay. I am exhausted by 9, most likely from speaking Spanish all day! It doesn't take me long at all to fall asleep at night, which is good because I wake up so early!

So, that's a glimpse of my new life. Of course, every day isn't exactly the same, but you get the idea. Each day I feel more confident in my Spanish, but I understand more than I am able to say, so that is often frustrating. I've become the "Little Engine that Could"....saying to myself constantly, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...." and eventually I will be able to say "I could." I can't wait for that day! But for now, I will continue to nod my head, smile, and say, "Si" when I don't have any idea what someone is talking about. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment